Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Desires Of My Heart

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4


I love this verse. He has blessed me many times with the desires of my heart. I just want to share what desires He has blessed me with lately. I have had a great deal of spring fever lately. I always feel a little couped up after winter and combine that with the sickness of the early weeks of pregnancy,chasing a busy 18 month old around and trying to keep reign on my 6 and 7 year old's "spring fever", I have had the desire for a little retreat.

A good friend of mine just recently went on a cruise and when I saw
her photos I just wanted to be where she was, on a beach, next to a pool, in the sunshine. A cruise is probably not going to happen anytime soon and logistically I just don't think I could tackle that type of retreat. I have been praying for some fun and refreshment around home though. This past week the Lord has really answered my prayers. I feel as if He has planned a retreat for me with all my needs in mind.

Last Thursday I had the opportunity to attend a fundraiser for the local pro-life pregnancy center because the church I attend was hosting a table. It was at a beautiful hotel with a wonderful luncheon. The best part was to get to listen to the speakers. I love mothering and homemaking, but sometimes my head gets so involved in home life that I miss the opportunity to be challenged about putting my faith into action in other ways as well. It was refreshing to hear what is happening nationally in the pro-life arena and locally in our city as well. I walked away challenged and refreshed.

Friday our homeschool support group planned a field trip at a wildlife refuge. I haven't been hiking in nature for a while. I got to be refreshed in God's creation.

Saturday I took the kids to a local museum where they had a dinosaur exhibit and lots of activities for the kids. This was fun for all of us. While I was there, I saw an old friend. We where talking about how she was involved with a benefit art night for a local community project we had both been involved in. I had made the comment that I had received the invitation but do to budget cut backs (ha,ha) couldn't go. She told me that her mother in law had said that if she new anyone who couldn't afford to attend, that she would love to buy their ticket. I was that person. That night I went to a lovely art night where artists helped the attendees make art. There were wonderful desserts and gourmet snacks. I got to sit for 2 1/2 hours designing gourds, making prints, and refreshing my creative side.

On Sunday at church a friend invited me to go with her (as her guest)
next Monday to a Homeschooling mothers "Oasis" (as the invitation reads). It is hosted by a veteran homeschooling mom. She is an author and has arranged for a one day retreat to talk about homeschool encouragement and a chance to get a little crafty. My in-laws even said they would babysit for the day! I will get a chance to refresh in my job at homeschooling.

Tonight I get to go to coffee with a couple of ladies from my small group at church. We are all reading the book by Sharon James titled Elizabeth Prentiss: More Love To Thee (a great read). I will get a chance to refresh in discussion of spiritual things.

As I write this, I am so teary eyed just to know how well God knows my heart and exactly what I need. It is so perfectly balanced. From spiritual/political battles that I am passionate about,nature, art, friends, and homeschooling. I couldn't have planned a better retreat for myself. Where could I have gone to get all those topics in one place? And the best part is...I don't have to leave my family for an extended amount of time. When we delight in the Lord, He takes care of us in many ways.

No comments: