Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Scheduling

I had a conversation with a friend of mine about scheduling. You know, how you spend or intend to spend your days. We were discussing someone that schedules in 15 minute increments. I think schedules are like budgets for our time and it is good to be accountable for how we spend our days. They help us to get things done and not procrastinate. They are also like budgets because they are different for everyone. No two people have the same budget and no two schedules are the same. Even though we are all given 24 hours a day, how we need to spend it is different. We should never compare our schedule to another, just maybe glean some useful tips from other people. Sometimes I can be so task oriented that I was thinking of developing more of a relationship schedule. My mind has been trying to think eternally lately. If my treasure really is in heaven, that should be reflected in my schedule. So here is my daily schedule, relationally speaking.


7:00 Wake up and have relationship with personal hygiene.
7:30 Say Good Morning to children and have relationship with kitchen to prepare breakfast and feed children.
8:00 Say Good Morning to Husband and have relationship with Laundry
9:00 Have short relationship with bathroom.
9:15 Sit down to enjoy my husband and childrens company.
9:30 Sing worship songs with my daughter.
9:45 Give oldest son piggy back ride.
10:00 Sit next to my husband in case he has something important to say.
11:00 Check in with friend that needs encouragement.
11:30 pray for mom.
11:45 ......


I don't know, maybe my thinking is wrong. writing it this way sounds dumb. But it does make me realize that I would much rather be playing with the kids or talking to my husband than having a relationship with my bathroom. So I will continue my quest on keeping my chore list short by keeping up on my small jobs and getting them done with the most efficiency so I can build better relationships with my God, husband, children and friends.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think it sounds FUN that way. And meaningful!

Laura said...

When we first dove into scheduling our days, it was so helpful to go go by the half hour like you showed in this post. Like Rebecca said, it is meaningful. What I see is that you are trying to better order your days, and better use the time God has given to you.

After we got used to having structure in the household routine, we relaxed quite a bit. I think I will work up a post for this subject as I can say a whole lot more about it, but I don't want to take over here, haha.